Saturday, June 7, 2008

Heeeeeeeeeeere's SUMMER!


Well, we've been to the pool for the first time. That can only mean that summer is officially here. Holy heck! And the temperatures are soaring... Ten til 8 a.m. and it's 78 degrees with a high today between 95 and 100. Kristen and I sat under the umbrella almost the whole time we were at the pool and I still got sun. Molly and Bells got a bit crispy depite strong sunscreen appilcations. As I'm writing this, I'm thinking I'll change my alloted computer time to the afternoon so I can get out before the heat becomes unbearable.

I've read 3 and 1/2 books since school got out. In the kids lit, I finished The Titan's Curse and The Calder Game. I had to read The Titan's Curse because the next book in the series had come out and I am in the middle of that (The Battle of the Labyrinth) now, hence the 1/2. All good stuff. Actually, I was so excited about The Calder Game that I read it in two days. It's been a minute since Ms. Balliett put out The Wright Three. She is so much fun, because of the puzzles and art information and pretty darn good mystery and adventure she adds to her stories. These books are great for kids 4th-8th grade boys and girls. The Titan's Curse and The Battle of the Labyrinth are part of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. Great series for boys, due the high adventure. In truth, my girls love them, too. And they are quite a lot of fun to read aloud. Another thing I like about them is that you get introductions to all the gods and monsters of Mount Olympus. (In an earlier post, I mentioned that we had gone to see him at a book signing and couldn't get near him. Well, we went back to that bookstore and they happened to have an autographed copy of his newest book. Niiiiiiiice.)
The other book I read was Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (sp?). When I mentioned to Rosa I was reading one of her books, she got mildly excited and said what a good author she was. Hmmmmmm. The book is about a boy what goes on a shooting spree in his high school, why, and what happened after, I had a real problem with mostly two dimensional characters in the first half of the book. The second half is devoted to the trial and was easier for me to get into. I must say, it's brought bullying to the front of my head.

O.k. Enough of my soap box. It's Saturday and that means cleaning! Woot! Rosa is dog sitting for friends and they just got a Wii!!! So, Molly and Ysabel are going to go play this afternoon. Had to let 'em or I'd have to sleep with my door locked. So, I get the afternoon to myself!

I'm out! Hope you have an awesome weekend! Take a look around... It IS awesome...

3 comments:

Pat said...

What lovely girls! Yes do sun bathe in the cooler parts of the day. You'll glad later.
Michele says hi!

gautami tripathy said...

Picoult has a way of writing about difficult issues. Her writing hits hard. The Sister's Keeper and Salem Falls are two of my favourite books. I liked Nineteen Minutes too.


Michele sent me here.

Bobkat said...

That is a really summery photo! It's been pretty hot here in the UK for the last few days too.

We have a lot of reality TV here too and I agree that it is very exploitative. However, I think some people go on these shows knowing exactly what is going on and do it because they want to become famous. I guess they use the show as much as it uses them. You cna certainly see that here on Big Brother. I tend to give all those shows a wide berth though.

Glad you are enjoying the weather and your books :)