Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tuesday


My mother is in a nursing home these days about 15 minutes from my house. Another good reason to keep a blog. There's the therapy value, but also a way for me to keep tabs on myself. Mom's relatively young. I figure she started really losing it about 8-12 years ago. She will be 70 this year. I am watching myself closely. She is living the confabulous life. Getting married to John Mellancamp (Do we have to listen to his music at the reception?), saving everyones life who was on tour with Travis Tritt as she wrested the pilot out of his seat to fly around a storm cloud, hanging out with Harry Connick, Jr. in New Orleans while she was stripping there, owning a multi-million $$$ house in Celebration, FL. Well. she really was a stripper...

Bruce's father has destroyed all of his short term memory with alcohol and I figure alocohol didn't help my mom any either. She spent several years really putting it away for fun and relaxation (and lunch and dinner) after my dad passed.

I found out I was pregnant with Bella about three weeks after my last great tear. My bosses at the time took all the girls who worked for them out to party. And we did. Many, many shots of tequilla worth of party. I asked Bruce not to drink so thast I could, to no avail. We left the Gwinnett mall area to head to Stone Mountain and ended up in Marietta (opposite direction). I was sick 3 times (not in the car) on the way home and I had to open the store the next day SO hung over and sick. NOT worth it. So I'm sober. I may have a drink once or twice a year. A drink.
But I find that I have more fun without it. I really don't have a problem with saying what's on my mind. And when I was drinking I would SAY THINGS and not have the presence of mind to defend myself. I can defend myself when I'm sober. It's no problem hanging out with my friends shooting pool at a bar cause theyre just the same as they continue to drink. Perhaps louder. No problem.
O.k. Bella's waiting to watch "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron". And this is where she'll be watching it. I really must get a laptop.

1 comment:

sage said...

I am sorry to hear about your mother. My mother is not much older than yours and started losing her memory three-four years ago. Now she doesn't talk much at all--as I wrote in my Mother's Day post.